Garmouth holiday accommodation
- Garmouth Latitude: 57.6633° N Longitude: 3.1091° W
- Garmouth Postcode IV32
- Garmouth WOEID 20844
A village on the left bank of the Spey, Garmouth is about l mile from the sea, formerly it was a port, but the river channel now changes too often for use.
At one time, however it had a considerable timber trade in the export of tree trunks ﬂoated down the Spey from Rothiemurchus and Glenmore forests.
Charles ll landed here from Holland on 23 June 1650 and a plaque on a cottage commemorates the place where he signed the Solemn League and Covenant. This signature he later regarded as being made under duress.
Down-river, about l mile away, lies Kingston founded in l784 by two Yorkshiremen who came to buy timber, and named it after Kingston-upon-Hull. Kingston-upon-Spey was a great l8th and
early 19th century shipbuilding centre, with several yards on the Spey, where many large sailing vessels were built.
Let your Garmouth holiday accommodation including hotels, guest houses, B&B and self catering.