Fordyce Visitor Information Guide
Fordyce Most pleasingly situated on the side roads to the south of the main road from Porisoy to Cullen, Fordyce was a burgh of barony under the Earl of Seaﬁeld, and received its first charter in 1499, another in 1592. The village has gathered itself round the castle built in 1592, with later additions (now lived in) with fine corbelling and dormer windows.
About 1.5 miles north west stands the mansion house of Birkenbog, now derelict, with a ﬁne walled garden. It was the birthplace of Thomas Nicholson (1645-1718), the first Catholic Vicar-Apostolic of Scotland, after the Reformation and before the l9th century restoration of Scottish sees.
Much restoration work was done in the village as part of European Heritage Year activities, which also made available more holiday rental ccommodation in the area.
- Fordyce Postcode AB45
- Fordyce Latitude: 57.6617° N Longitude: 2.7464° W
- Fordyce WOEID 20418