Fordoun Holiday Rentals
- Fordoun Postcode AB30
- Fordoun Latitude: 56.8766° N Longitude: 2.4122° W
- Fordoun WOEID 20414
Fordoun Kincardinshire opposite Auchenblae consists almost entirely of Kirkton farm, a small school and the beautiful but ruined church, but this was the cradle of Christianity in the Mearns. The church was erected on the site of the Shrine of St Palladius, an Irish bishop who ministered in this district in the 5th century and died here. In the churchyard on a steep bank above the river Luther there is a fragment of the ancient chapel, consecrated by David de Bernham. In the kirkyard there is a monument to George Wishart, one of Scotland’s seven Reformation martyrs, burned as a heretic on 1st March 1546, who was one of the Wisharts of Pitarrow and who probably worshipped in the church as a boy.
To the west above Fordoun is Finella Hill, which, with the lovely little Strathfinel1a commemorates Finella, wife of the Mormaer of the Mearns and daughter of Cunecht, Mormaer of Angus, whose strong hold was the well deﬁned earthwork known as Green Castle, between Clatterin’ Brig (on the B974) and ruined KINCARDINIT Castle. This lady is credited with having murdered King Kenneth II in A.D. 994 when he was on a pilgrimage to the Shrine of St Palladius.
Fordoun was raised to a burgh of barony by Mary Queen of Scots in I554, but little remains of what must have been a considerable community.