Elgin Holiday Rentals
- Elgin Postcode IV30
- Elgin Latitude: 57.6495° N Longitude: 3.3185° W
- Elgin WOEID 19450
Elgin the ancient city and royal burgh, now headquarters of Moray District.
Some 38 miles east north east of Inverness and 68 miles north west from Aberdeen, has a pivotal importance far greater than its population for the year 2018 of 23,128 34th most populated in the country, it is also the market town for the rich Laich of Moray and in addition to its outstanding cathedral and other antiquities it is fully equipped as a popular holiday resort and touring centre.
Elgin offers a wide choice of holiday accommodation on offer to the visitor and all budgets so wether your looking for quality hotels or budget B&B the choice is available.
The old Elgin was compact and cruciform, laid out on a low ridge stretching east to west above the river Lossie. At the west end is the Lady Hill on which a royal castle stood from the 12th to the l5th century and was occupied in 1296 by Edward l of England, but its remaining ruins are fragmentary on the summit oft his hill is a tall column in honour of the Duke of Gordon, who died in 1836.
At the east end of the ridge is the Cathedral, and between these two monuments, from the south lace of Lady Hill to the limit of the Cathedral sanctuary, runs the ancient High Street and parallel to it on either side two subsidiary streets originally known as the North Back Gait and the South Back Gait, now Blackfriars Road and South Street, These three
streets were linked by a series of wynds running north and south of which Lossie Wynd and School Wynd (now Commerce Street) Formed the entries to the town.
Elgin Moray Map