Edderton Holiday Rental accommodation
Edderton Latitude: 57.832788 Longitude: -4.175704 Postcode IV19
Edderton Ross and Cromerty Scottish Highland
The village stands on the south side of the Dornoch Firth The area is known for its dramatic scenery, Here the Battle of Carriblair took place between the Picts and Vikings. The village lies two miles from the main A9 trunk road. Ideally located for touring Northern Scotland with the North and North West coast approximately 1 hour’s drive, it is close to the royal burgh of Dornoch is located only 9 miles away, Tain 5 miles and Inverness is only 1 hour’s drive South.
All these areas offer accommadation to suite all pockets from Bed and Breakast, hotels and hostel's. There is a Championship Golf Course, and beautiful coastline, with the dry climate and quality of life this area is popular with outdoor enthusiasts, hill walkers and cyclists. There is shooting, stalking and fishing all available nearby and a comprehensive range of shops and services available in Tain and Inverness. The area is also serviced by Inverness Airport. This historic town centred around its ancient Premonstratensian Abby that was founded in (1221) by Farquhar, the fisrt Earl of Ross, it was moved in 1238 to "New Fearn" further east.
The Abbey was rebuilt between 1338 and 1372 following the Reformation, The Abbey remained in use as a parish church, but disaster struck in 1742 when the flagstone roof collapsed during a service killing many members of the congregation. A new church was then built adjacent to the old ruined church, but it itself had fallen into a ruinous state by the early 1770s, part of the original ruined Abbey was rebuilt in 1772 and again became the parish church as part of the Church of Scotland. The Pictish Trail is a historic trail that originates in Inverness, passing the Black Isle and over the Cromarty Bridge to Easter Ross.This historic trail originates in Inverness, passing the Black Isle and over the Cromarty Bridge to Easter Ross, The first of the Easter Ross stones is located on the B817 Cromarty Firth north-shore road which links Alness to Invergordon.
The Thiefs Stone is located opposite Invergordon Sailing club car park. Continue along the shore road before joining the A9 towards Tain, The Pictish Trail is signposted from here towards Nigg Old Church and then onwards towards Shandwick, Hilton and the Tarbat Discovery Centre in Portmahomack. Further stones can be viewed in the Tain and District Museum before heading towards two further stones at Edderton, then continues through Sutherland, ending in Golspie.