Dallas Holiday Rentals
- Dallas Postcode IV36
- Dallas Latitude: 57.5532° N Longitude: 3.4646° W
- Dallas WOEID 17853
Dallas is a village in the valley of the Lossie, 6 miles south east of Forres The parish church was built about 1794 on the earlier ones foundation area.
An ancient market cross, dedicated to St Michael, stands l2 ft high in the churchyard and is presumed to have been erected in the early 16th century.
The Dallas quarry is famed for slates; as far back as 1605 it provided the slates for the old tolbooth of Elgin.
The village itself dates from the 19th century when the land was first fuede that is, in the parlance of Scots Law, when the land was first let out at a fixed rate in perpetuity.
Dallas Lodge was built in l688 for Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. The original plan was for a circle of buildings similar to the ‘Round Square" at Gordonstoun, but the circle never met, and the design had to satisfy itself with achieving a semi-circle. This was composed of a dwelling-house and granary linked With an arch way, there is no trace of this last now remaining there are fine gardens and trees on the estate.
Dallas Moray Map