Culloden Visitor Information Guide
Culloden Moor, This is the site of the last battle fought on British soil and was the decisive conflict which ended the hopes of the Jacobites for a refurbished Catholic ascendancy. It is about five miles east of Inverness.
The battle resulted in the loss of 1200 men from the Highland army of Prince Charles Edward, against 310 lost from the Duke of Cumberland's forces.
Scattered in the field are simple headstones, marking the communal graves of clansmen, identified by their clan tartans.
Around the area off Culloden there are numerous establishments offering quality bed and breakfast accommodation for the weary traveller.
Old Leanack farmhouse, used by the Jacobites as a headquarters, is now a museum, and stands close by an interpretive centre run by the National Trust for Scotland.
- Culloden Latitude: 57.477938 Longitude: -4.095744
- Culloden Postcode IV2
A memorial cairn, erected in 188 it is the scene each April of a commemorative ceremony arranged by the Gaelic Society of Inverness.
It was after this battle, on 16th of April in 1746, that the Highlands suffered the unnecessary atrocities perpetrated by Cumberland's troops who, unlike the Jacobites, killed even wounded men, and then rampaged through the Highlands creating a desert which they called peace.
Today a new visitor’s centre has been opened well worth the visit.